(Singende) Jasmyn is a sweet voiced singer from South Africa, who recorded several Eurovision songs, so Eurocovers ears were pointed of course.
Jasmyns first album Jy Wens Jy Kon Sê is a collection of songs both in Afrikaans and English. Most songs are ballads and that’s just as well, as Jasmyn soothing voice really carries the slow songs beautifully.
The soft, sometimes spiritual music may not suit all hours of the day and the music surely demands attention from the listener. Jasmyn appears to be fully in control of her voice throughout the whole album and never needs to regress to vocal acrobatics or overstretching her voice.
When I heard a few of her songs a year or so ago I commented along the lines of 'Jasmyn sings like an angel' and that is true for most of her debut album.
One of the Eurovision songs Jasmyn recorded that ended up on the album is the 2010 Irish entry It's For You. 1993 winner Niamh Kavanagh returned to Eurovision in 2010 with the song written by Niall Mooney, Mårten Eriksson, Jonas Gladnikoff and Lina Eriksson. It’s this Eurocover that gets a remarkable Afrikaans makeover by Jasmyn.
The song is now titled Dit Is Vir Jou and is sung in Afrikaans with a part in Zulu. She is helped by vocal group Impulse whose imprint helps make it a wonderful spiritual song.
2. Bly Staan
- The only more or less uptempo song written by Steve Hofmeyer
3. Sonder Jou - Wat Nou?
4. Brief Oor Die See
- A traditional folk song with a male choir
5. I Always Knew You
- Written by Afrikaans singer/songwriter Catherine Jones
6. Whisper Of Angels
- Sounds like a classical song, wonderful vocal arrangement with Voices+
7. Jy Wens Jy Kon Sê
- Wonderful song, highlight of the album.
8. Hy Is Daar
- The 2nd Catherine Jones song is an esoteric but uplifting religious hymn
9. I Will Pray For You
- I know this one by Katherine Jenkins, but I don’t know if it was written for her. The chorus melody is a bit Fairytale Of New York. Another album highlight for Jasmyn. With the help of vocal group Voices+
10. Dit Is Vir Jou
- The Irish Eurovision entry It’s For You
11. Letting Go
- A cover of Christian singer Nikki Leonti
12. By Jou Wil Ek Bly
- I Don’t Wanna Leave, the Polish 2009 entry
13. Celebrate Spring
You can listen to the songs at Jasmyns Reverbnation.
Also check out Jasmyns official website.