Sunday, March 11, 2007

VII: Year Of The Puppet - Loutka - Yvonne Přenosilová.

As promised here's the Czech version of Puppet On A String: Loutka. It's by Yvonne Přenosilová.
The recording is from the 60's but I have no details on the original release. It can be found on a CD titled Superhity století 1960-1969 2 (CZ Universal 0134372), a compilation with Czech 60's hits.

There is also a compilation CD by Yvonne Přenosilová, Roň slzy (Sony), but it does not feature Loutka. It has songs mainly in Czech and some in English, German and Italian, including cover versions of These boots are made for walking (Boty proti lásce), My Colouring Book, I'm sorry (Roň slzy) and A Lovers Concerto (Nikdo netusi).





 

At 60, Přenosilová is still active in the music business as a country singer.






Yesterday the Czech Republic chose it's first ever Eurovision entry. The song Mála damá by Kabat. It may be a slight shock for the average TV viewer as it's 'serious Lordi without the masks'. http://www.kabati.cz/

Also see this Eurocovers post for Eurovision covers by Helena Vondráčková , the singer who withdrew from the Czech Eurosong national final this year.

The Year Of The Puppet celebrates the 40 year anniversary of Sandie Shaw's Eurovision victory with Puppet On A String. Introduction to the series in this Eurocovers post.
Other versions already featured are from France, Singapore (Mandarin-Chinese), Jamaica. Yugoslavia, Estonia, U.K. (Comedy), Iceland, Lithuania, USA (Musical), Spain, Brasil, UK punk, Norway (gloom) Norway, Turkey, Portugal Basque country, Organia, Tirol, Denmark

3 comments:

Lou Kash said...

I'm in Prague right now so I've been partly watching the Czech TV show yesterday. My favorite was Gipsy.cz but since I don't own a cell phone I was excluded from voting...

Kabát is OK and in Czech context is their victory no surprise: in the 17 years of their existence (without any personal changes!) they sold 750.000 records - and that means in Czech republic alone! But I don't think they will have any serious chances in the Eurovision context. "Malá dáma" means Little Lady, by the way.

And your comparison to Lordi is rather offending. :) Lordi were wannabe glamrockers. Kabát just play straight rock music. By the way, I've met the group members a couple of times privately in the 90s in their home town Teplice. They are friends of some friends of mine (also great musicians from the highly underrated prog-rock group Aku Aku).

Eurocovers said...

I didn't mean to offend anyone and I'm sorry if I did, but I think you are not doing Lordi justice here either. They have been making their own brand of rock for several years and take it very seriously.

Somehow I was a bit surprised to not see the song written by Karel Svoboda win (Prísahám by Petr Kolár)which in my opinion would have been a fitting tribute.

Lou Kash said...

Hehe, regarding the "offense", it wasn't meant exactly seriously, hence the little smiley there... :)

I don't remember the song Přísahám. Heck, I don't even know who Petr Kolář is. In fact, besides of Gipsy.cz, the best song was the one sung by Jiří Korn (who otherwise absolutely failed in his role as a "moderator") and his a capella quartet at the end of the show, outside of the contest... ;)

By the way, I've got another version of Já půjdu tam a ty tam by the Gustav Brom orchestra and Milan Černohouz. I like this version slightly better than Korn/Vondráčková's. It appears on the 1977 compilation Gong 3 (Panton 110640). Possibly it might have been released as a Panton single, too, but I've never seen it yet.